Traffic Study – Vehicle Activated Sign (VAS)
Cllrs MH & JB and the Clerk recently met with Highways (4 Feb) to review the proposed sites for VAS. Various sites were considered taking into account factors such as:
- Proximity to the start of speed restrictions
- Proximity to other signs
- User safety - the signs need to move and be installed across sites
WHPC now has Highways approval for a two phased approach:
The following locations have approval for a post for a mobile VAS. The posts can be fitted with brackets allowing the sign to be positioned in different directions eg north or south, as required.
A Bendarroch Road junction with Moorlands
B West Hill road junction with Bendarroch Road
D B3180, Outside Ridge House
E B3180, Outside Little Stockleigh
The estimated cost of phase 1 for purchase and installation by Highways
- Mobile VAS device approx. + 4 posts = £2,800 + 4x£200 = £3,600+vat
- In addition, costs for Lengthsman to move the signs between sites as per schedule (to be agreed)
The anticipated delivery and installation time is 3-6 months.
Phase 2 will focus on West Hill Road and will address two issues.
- Four locations on West Hill Road are under consideration. Decisions on three sites are are linked - further safety/school consultations are required regarding the existing flashing School signs and the proposed new entrance to the Village Hall.
- Is a second VAS device required or can the scheme be operated with 1 VAS? Experience in phase 1 will help inform this decision.
The potential locations are:
C West Hill Road / Junction with School Lane
- Request to change the School Lights for a Permanent VAS.
- Consult with Road Safety and School
F West Hill Road/Junction with Needlewood Close
G West Hill Road near junction with Warren Park
- Permanent Solar VAS on site.
- May wish to be moved
H West Hill Road junction with Ashley Brake
- School Lights
- May wish to be moved if new School Entrance is built.
Anne, Parish Clerk